Now that fall has officially arrived, Northville is gearing up to celebrate one of their favorite seasons of the year with “October in the ’Ville,” a month-long schedule of fall and Halloween-inspired events. Residents and visitors from neighboring towns know Northville takes Halloween seriously and travel to attend the many events throughout the month.
“October in the ’Ville” kicks off Friday, October 4 when 55 Skeletons “come alive” during a celebration from 6:30-9 p.m. in Town Square (on Main Street across from the Marquis Theatre). The life-sized themed Skeleton art displays – created by Begonia Brothers of Northville – transform downtown Northville into a Halloween Boneyard and remain throughout town through Halloween.
As guests welcome the Skeletons to the downtown during the ribbon-cutting celebration in Town Square they will be entertained by the dancers from the Piazza Dance Company (6:30 p.m.) and a performance from the band,Social Bones (7-9 p.m.).Northville favorites Parmenter’s Cider Mill and Fred’s Ice Cream will also be served during the evening’s festivities.
Visitors in town for the Skeletons Are Alive launch party can also stroll through town and enjoy the First Friday Experience hosted by the downtown Northville galleries, shops, restaurants, and the Scary Merry Market at Stampeddler (located in Old Church Square) which will feature one-of-a-kind Halloween Treasures from local artists. Both events take place from 6-9 p.m.
The fall fun continues on Saturday, October 5 with the annual Car Tunes Car Show (11 a.m.-4 p.m.). The October event schedule has something for everyone and creates an opportunity for residents and neighbors to visit and take their pictures with the skeletons while they are in town shopping, dining or attending the many “October in the ‘Ville” events. Thefall and Halloween-inspired events scheduled as part of the “October in the ‘Ville” line-up include:
- October 4-5 ~ Scary Merry Market ~ Friday 6-9 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. ~ Stampeddler
- October 5-13 (Thursdays-Sundays)* ~ “Blithe Spirit” ~ matinee & evening performances ~ Tipping Point Theatre
- October 5 ~ Car Tunes Car Show 11 a.m.-4 p.m. ~ Downtown Northville
- October 11-13 Fall Fair Craft Show* ~ various times ~ Community Center
- October 20 ~ Trick or Treat Trail* ~ 4:40 – 6:40 p.m. ~ Mill Race Village
- October 26 ~ Kids Costume Parade and Trick or Treat Streets ~ 12 p.m. ~ Downtown Northville
- October 26 ~ Fright Night Festival ~ 3 p.m. ~ Downtown Northville
- October 27 ~ Historical Hauntings: Ghosts of Northville* ~ 4-7:30 p.m. ~ Mill Race Village
- October 31 ~ Trick or Treating ~ 6-8 p.m. ~ Northville Community
- October 31 ~ Fire Station Open House ~ 6-8 p.m. ~ Northville City Hall
- October 31 ~ Costume Contest 7:30 p.m. ~ Community Center
* These events require pre-purchased or day-of ticket or event admission
If the events weren’t enough, October also brings a few final chances to visit the Northville Farmers Market to stock up on your favorite fall produce, flowers and more. The final days of the Northville Farmers Market 2013 season are October 10, 17, 24 & 31. The Northville Farmers’ Market is open 8- a.m.-3 p.m. at the Northville Downs Parking Lot (Corner of Seven Mile/ Center Street). Guests can visit the Northville DDA’s website or join Downtown Northville on Facebook to find more information on the October 4 Skeletons Are Alive event and all “October in the ’Ville” events.