Allegan’s potential riverfront redevelopment project involves both a design concept and accompanying urban planning strategies. The proposed site includes the Kalamazoo Riverfront that borders Downtown Allegan along Hubbard Street. The city of Allegan, the Allegan Downtown Development Authority, and local stakeholders envision transforming the identified riverfront site into a quality destination space recognized throughout the region.
As the location of the world headquarters of the Perrigo Company, one of the largest employers in southwest Michigan, Allegan endeavors to further solidify its place as a choice destination to live, work and play within west Michigan through the development of its riverfront property. The redesign will encompass a variety of upgrades to locations around the downtown riverfront such as facades of historical buildings, fishing facilities, the 1886 steel truss bridge, and the Veteran’s Riverfront Park.
Objectives of the riverfront development design within downtown Allegan include further enhancement of the city’s natural beauty, capitalizing upon its historic districts, and jumpstarting economic development. The project will also support and maximize the potential of the regional festivals and events for which Allegan is known, including July Three Jubilee, Oktoberfest, and a series of summer weekend concerts.
The city has leveraged investments and partnerships that will complement and assist with the success of this site. During summer 2013 improvements will be made to the Veteran’s Riverfront Park using matching grant funding provided by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Allegan has also completed a Safe Routes to School Plan, which will facilitate assistance from the Michigan Department of Transportation in improving walkable access to downtown. A completed plan for the M-89 Corridor will further address access to its downtown. Track further developments at PositivelyAllegan.org.
Downtown Riverfront Development Presentation
In the News
- Riverfront Gets Colorful Preview from Michigan Municipal League – August 10, 2013
- Riverfront funding proposal goes on ballot - July 24, 2013
- Final design presented for Allegan riverfront – July 3, 2013
- Final riverfront design to be shown – June 12, 2013
- Riverfront redesign could make it a ‘third place’ – April 17, 2013
- Detailed concept to be unveiled for Allegan riverfront redesign – April 3,2013
- City of Allegan seeking public input on potential riverfront improvements – November 21, 2012
- ‘PlacePlans’ grant will redesign Allegan riverfront – October 10,2012